Mrs. Verrastro, the Guidance Counselor for Team Comets, will be in science class today with me. We will be starting to help you plan your future in high school! I hope there will be lots of science, math, and engineering in that future! 🙂
- Read the first pages in your ISN and highlight/color/underline key point
- Write questions/comments about pages on a sticky note
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your Interactive Science Notebook. Work with your cooperative table group members to discuss the following questions: How have you used a notebook or journal before? How do you think you might use a notebook to do science?
- Mindful Monday– Calm 7 Days of Calm: Day 1 Basics of Mindfulness– Listen to the audio walk our way through the mindfulness practice. After the practice, we discuss- What did you notice?
- Distribute Interactive Science Notebook pages– Trim and tape the first 10 pages into notebook. Read each page and highlight/color/underline key points. Write questions/comments about pages on sticky notes.
Continue to read each page and highlight/color/underline key point and write questions/comments about pages on a sticky note
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your Growth Mindset paragraph. Be sure that your name is on it. Put your paper in a pile with the papers of the other people in your group. Put the pile of papers in the middle of the table. Get out your composition notebook.
- Diagram– “Two Mindsets”- Model examples from my life of when I used the growth mindset for each component-challenges, obstacles, effort, criticism, success of others. Individually students write their own examples of using the growth mind set on diagram. Share as full class.
- Introduce Interactive Science Notebook– Tell the whole class about the science notebooks and the types of activities during which we will use notebooks. Show students an example of a science notebook. Demonstrate how to label the cover and number the pages. Does anyone have any questions about when or how we will use the notebooks? What do you think the notebook might be useful for when doing science or learning about science?
- Exit Slip– “Tweet” out: In 140 characters or less, answer the following question: What is one way to demonstrate a growth mindset while you learn science?
Number all pages of your notebook, front and back.
Be careful not to skip pages or repeat numbers and use ink.