Each pure substance has characteristic physical properties like density (for any bulk quantity under given conditions) that can be used to identify it.
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner; Get out your science notebook and add to your Table of Contents- “Application p.62” (Left Side) and “Bill Nye Buoyancy p.63” (Right Side); Head page 62 properly with “Density & Buoyancy-Applying to Main Idea-2/17/16″ and page 63 properly with “Bill Nye Buoyancy-Educational Video-2/17/16.”
- Notebook Organization– Set up homework questions on page 62.
- Practice– Review “Take It Further” Question 8 and tape it onto page 59 of your notebook.
- Understanding Connections- Write an Understanding Connections statement on density on a Post-It note and stick it to the Understanding Connections pages p.60-61 of your science notebook.
- Educational video–Bill Nye The Science Guy- Buoyancy and Density– Complete “Buoyancy” handout and trim & tape it onto page 63.
Answer questions on page 62 of your science notebook-
- What is density?
- What do mass & volume have to do with density?
- Why do you think something would sink or float?