- To explain, in terms of electrons and protons, why a charged object is attracted or repelled by another charged object
- To explain that the attraction between positive protons and negative electrons holds an atom together
- Do Now-Get out your science notebook and add to the Table of Contents- “Application p.82” (Left Side); Head page 82 properly with “Protons, Neutrons, & Electrons-Application-3/29/16;” Try the Rotating Staircase optical illusion.
- Simulation– Balloons & Static Electricity PhET- Visualize what happens to electrons when a charged balloon is brought to a wall with the simulation. Set up page 82 with title. Cut & tape diagram to page 82.Write captions beneath each diagram explaining what happened between the balloon and the wall in the simulation.
- Demonstration– Balloon and Stream of Water video- On page 82, record your observations of what happened when the charged balloon was held near a stream of water and explain why it happens.
- Understanding Connections- Write an Understanding Connections statement about protons, neutrons, & electrons on a Post-It note and stick it to the Understanding Connections pages (p.80-81) of your science notebook.