Class will meet in the computer lab room A3/A5 today!
- Use the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons to draw a model of the atom, identify the element, and determine the mass and charge.
- Predict how addition or subtraction of a proton, neutron, or electron will change the element, the charge, and the mass.
- Use the element name, mass, and charge to determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- Do Now– Head the “Pre-lab for Build an Atom” handout properly with your name and science period. With a partner, complete the “Pre-lab for Build an Atom” handout. Each partner should complete his or her own handout.
- Simulation– Build an Atom PhET- With a partner, build an atom out of protons, neutrons, and electrons and see how the element, charge, and mass change. Then play a game to test your ideas! As you work through the simulation, complete the activity handout.
- Model how to use the simulation- To work the simulation, click on “Atom.” Also, click box next to “Stable/Unstable” under “Show.”
- Explore the simulation with your partner for 5 minutes.
- Begin building an atom and working through the handout.
<table style=”position: absolute; width: 200px; height: 80px; left: 50px; top: 60px;”><tr><td style=”text-align: center; color: #000; font-size: 24px; font-family: Arial,sans-serif;”>Click to Run</td></tr></table></a></div>