- To apply Newton’s third law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of objects
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework in your planner; Get out the sketch of your scooter design; Put your science notebook into the crate for your class.
- Science Friday– The Real Guide to Imaginary Companions
- CFA #4
- Engineering Project– Newton’s Scooters- In this project, you will use Newton’s third law of motion to design and build a vehicle that moves without the use of gravity or a power source such as electricity. Preparation stage
- Research examples of Newton’s scooters using reliable internet sources to develop a scooter design. Remember that a car with wheels is only one type of vehicle, so keep an open mind!
- Create a sketch of your design on a blank piece of paper. This will be a flip page to page 107 of your science notebook. Below your diagram, explain how the scooter will overcome the forces of friction and gravity. In other words, how will your scooter apply Newton’s 3rd Law to move? Identify the force that will propel your vehicle.
- Form groups. Follow your teacher’s direction to form a group. Present your individual sketches/drawings to your group. Decide on a sketch/design to use for your prototype
Newton’s Scooter Design Challenge Final Project Presentation due Thu 6/9/Fri 6/10