- Substances are made from different types of atoms, which combine with one another in various ways. Atoms form molecules that range in size from two to thousands of atoms.
- Each pure substance has characteristic physical properties (for any bulk quantity under given conditions) that can be used to identify it.
- Do Now– Get out your science notebook and open to pages 56-57. Take out your data table and your graph paper. Work out the following density word problem on the colored paper strip: “Calculate the density of a cube using the following information: Each side is 2 cm long. The mass of the cube is 16g.“
- Science Friday– A Shot in the Dark: Alternative Uses for Squid Ink and Superbloom: How Death Valley Springs to Life
- Investigation– What is the relationship between mass and density for objects of equal volume? Complete the graph of your data on graph paper. Use the density of each cube to identify the substance that the cube is made from.