- Substances are made from different types of atoms, which combine with one another in various ways. Atoms form molecules that range in size from two to thousands of atoms.
- Each pure substance has characteristic physical properties (for any bulk quantity under given conditions) that can be used to identify it.
- Do Now– Get out your science notebook and open to you investigation on pages 58-59- Effect of Volume. On a separate sheet of lined paper, define matter in your own words.
- Investigation– What is the relationship between volume and density for objects of equal mass? Review data as a class. Graph data on graph paper. On p.58, Model relative size & arrangement of atoms/molecules in plastic & metal cylinders and write conclusion regarding how the volume of cylinders of the same mass affects density.Trim and tape procedure/data table as flip page to p.59 and tape graph paper as flip page to p.58.
- Driving Question Summary Table– Complete the Summary Table on pages 52-53 for the Effect of Mass Activity.