Does temperature affect the speed of particles in a solid?
- Do Now- Get out your Demonstration handout with questions 3-5. Get out your science notebook and add to your Table of Contents- “Particles in Solid- p.42” (Left Side). Open your notebook to page 42 and head it properly with “Particles in Solid- 1/25/18.”
- Science Friday– Is Pedigree What It’s Cracked Up to Be? and Vox video- The World Is Poorly Designed, But Copying Nature Helps
- Demonstration Investigation– How does temperature affect the particles in a solid? Answer questions 3-5 on the Demonstration handout. Trim and tape the demonstration handout as a flip page to ISN p.43.
- Model– Set up ISN p.42. Draw a model of the atoms in the metal ball at room temperature and after it has been heated based on your observations of the metal ball and ring.
- Claim/Evidence/Reasoning (CER)- On ISN p.42, make a claim about whether temperature affects the atoms in a solid. Support your claim with evidence and reasoning. Observe animation of heating and cooling a solid to help your reasoning.