JASON Project Operation Terminal Velocity- Expedition 2: A Universe of Motion- Stage 1- On the Move
- Do Now- On the lined piece of paper: Describe a play in football (or a homerun in baseball or movement in any sport). Watch the video. Now explain that play using scalars (distance, speed) and vectors (displacement, velocity).
- Continue to work on the following reading assignments:
- Talking About Motion– This article describes how all motion is relative to a reference point. The article also covers the difference between distance and displacement and the use of vector arrows to describe movement.
- Rates of Change– This article defines rate as the amount of change in any measurement over time and gives several examples.
- Speed- A Scalar Quantity– This article discusses three different ways to examine speed–instantaneous, constant, and average speed. The article also describes why speed is a scalar quantity and how to calculate and graph speed.
- Velocity- A Vector Quantity– This article defines velocity as a vector quantity representing both speed and direction and distinguishes it from speed. The article also describes how to calculate and graph velocity.
*Links to the above articles as well as guiding questions to accompany them are found in Google Classroom.