How is energy getting into the cup, if not from collisions with air?
- Do Now– Open your ISN and add to the Table of Contents- Lamp Demonstration p.43 (Right Side). Head p.43 properly with “Lamp Demonstration 1/10/19.”
- Write-Pair-Share– What did we figure out was missing from our model for energy transfer into the cold drink? On ISN p.43, record the following question: “How is energy getting into the cup, if not from collisions with air particles? If air is bad at transferring energy through particle collisions, how is energy getting into the cup in the first place?”
- Scientific Language Key Word– On ISN p.43, record the definition of Radiation– Energy transfer by invisible waves that carry energy between stuff that isn’t touching. Ex. Between you and a fire, heater, or the sun. Record the term Radiation in the Index in the back of your ISN.
- Lamp Demonstration– Observe this demonstration for evidence of radiation. Put your hand a couple feet in front of a lamp with a 100 watt bulb that is turned off. What do you feel? Then turn the bulb on. What do you feel? Diagram radiation from the lamp on ISN p.43. What is happening inside your hand on a particle scale when your hand feels warmer? What do you think is making those particles move faster if air is not colliding with them? How did you represent the invisible waves in your diagrams?
- Video Segments– How does a vacuum pump work? Mr. Wizard and What happens if your body is exposed to the vacuum of space? Sci Show
- Lamp Analogy Map– On the “Demonstration: The Lamp” student handout, relate the physical model of the lamp to the phenomenon of the Sun in space. Fill in the first row as a class, and then work with your partner to complete the other rows. Then, tape the handout as a flip page to ISN p.43.
Block 8- SEL
- Introduction- On a sticky note, list 3 people you admire- someone in the community, a family member, an adult/student in the school, etc.
- Word Splash- On your table group, create a Word Splash- a list of words- about the people you admire using words that represent why you admire them.
- Video Segment- Inspiring Role Models
- Discussion Questions- What are some similarities among all the people you admire? How do personal role models positively influence your life? The people we admire can inspire us. How are you inspired?