Students will be able to create a model that explains what happens to particle motion, temperature, and states of matter when heat energy is added or removed.
- Do Now– Set up NEW Table of Contents.
- Begin Sound Waves Unit Cover Page– ISN p.53
- State of Matter Changes HyperDoc on Google Classroom- Yellow EXPLORE section-
- Use the States of Matter: Basics PhET Simulation to explore what happens to the particles in different states of matter by first clicking on States.
- Check out what happens to neon, argon, oxygen, & water when you change the temperature. You can change the temperature by sliding the switch up or down. (You can also change the thermometer from K to C using the dropdown menu.)
- What effect does heat energy have on the movement of the particles of matter?
- Do you notice the matter changing state?
- What happened for the matter to go from one state to another?
- Can you pick out each state of matter?
- Did the change happen gradually or all at once?
- Print out the handout, complete the data tables, and answer the questions.
- Before moving onto Explain, bring your lab handouts to Mrs, Vigliotti to show her what you have explored about heat energy and pressure and the effect they have on changes of state.
Complete Sound Waves Unit Cover Page ISN p.53 for Friday, 1/31