- The changes of state that occur with variations in temperature or pressure can be described and predicted using models of matter
- Heat refers to energy transferred due to temperature differences between two objects
- Do Now- Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your science notebook and open to page 49. Turn to your table partners and practice explaining what happens to particles in the following changes of state: evaporation, condensation, freezing,melting
- Application- Answer questions 4, 5, & 6 on the handout about melting and the comparison of state changes in other substances to state changes in water. Tape handout to page 48 as flip page.
- Review of Changes of State for quiz- BBC, How Stuff Works, Mystery Mud
- Do Now- Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your science notebook and add to the Table of Contents- “Melting p.48” (Left Side) and “Melting p.49” (Right Side). Open to page 48 and head it properly with “Melting-Application-1/17/17 and open to page 49 and head it properly with “Melting-Demonstration-1/17/17.”
- Model– Observe the animations of Ice structure Ice at Different Angles. Create a model of water molecules in solid ice and liquid water on p.46. Freezing Point of Gas- Liquid Nitrogen Demonstration Let’s Freeze Liquid Nitrogen
- Demonstration– What happens to the speed of molecules in ice when it is heated? Where does the energy come from to melt the ice? Describe your observations of the ice melting on different surfaces on page 49. Define melting. Add key term to index at back of notebook.
STUDY pages 38-49- Changes of State Quiz tomorrow 1/19
The changes of state that occur with variations in temperature or pressure can be described and predicted using models of matter
- Do Now-Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner; Write down two things that you have learned about changes of state; Share what you have learned about changes of state with your cooperative table group/quiz each other on the key vocabulary words with your flashcards
- Assessment– Changes of State Quiz
- Understanding Connections Thesis– Use the directions on page 7 in your notebook to write an Understanding Connections Thesis. The template is in Google Classroom. Model step 1- Let’s start by gathering what you need.
Understanding Connections Thesis due on Mon. 2/1