- Substances are made from different types of atoms, which combine with one another in various ways. Atoms form molecules that range in size from two to thousands of atoms.
- Each pure substance has characteristic physical properties (for any bulk quantity under given conditions) that can be used to identify it.
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your science notebook and open to pages 56-57. Take out your data table and your graph paper. Work out the following density word problem on the colored paper strip: “Calculate the density of a cube using the following information: Each side is 3 cm long. The mass of the cube is 54 g.“
- Investigation– What is the relationship between mass and density for objects of equal volume? Complete the graph of your data on graph paper. Use the density of each cube to identify the substance that the cube is made from. Model relative size and arrangement of atoms/molecules in metal, plastic, & wooden cubes. Write conclusion regarding how the mass of cubes of the same volume affect density. Trim and tape data table as flip page to p.57 and tape graph paper as flip page to p.56.
- Driving Question Summary Table– Complete the Summary Table on pages 52-53 for the Effect of Mass Activity.
Density Calculation worksheet