Does temperature affect the speed of molecules in a liquid?
- Do Now– Get out your science notebook and open to page 40. Get out your lab handout. Share your Claim Evidence Reasoning (CER) on ISN p.40 with the rest of your cooperative table group.
- Mindful Monday– Loving Kindness
- Notebook Work- Period 4– Watch video of food coloring diffusion in hot and cold water and draw what you observe on handout. All classes- Check questions 1-4 on lab handout and tape handout as a flip page to ISN p.41. Also check CER on ISN p.40.
- Investigative Phenomenon– Volume Increase in Graduated Cylinder– Using what you learned about molecular motion and temperature in the food coloring investigation, create a model to explain what is happening with the increase in water volume in the graduated cylinder. Why do you think the volume of water increases when the water is heated? Tape your model as a flip page to p.40.
How do the vibrations of the different sounds compare for higher vs lower pitch notes?
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your ISN and add to the Table of Contents- “Higher vs Lower Notes p.29” (Right Side); Head page 29 properly with “Higher vs Lower Notes- 11/27/17.”
- Turn and Talk– Summarize what our question was that we investigated last week. Then brainstorm: What are some musical instruments that we can look at more closely so see how they make different pitch sounds?
- Investigation- Set up data table on ISN p.29. Make observations of plucking a guitar string at different lengths, striking different bars on a xylophone, and the structures of a music box device when the handle is cranked. For each, pay attention to anything you notice about the structure of the instruments as they play different notes. Record your observations in the data table.
- Write Pair Share– “What patterns did you notice between how the instruments & music box made different pitched sounds? Do you think there are differences in the vibrations being made as different notes are being produced? Explain.” Write the answers to the questions on ISN p.29. Pair with your cooperative table group to share your responses and come to a consensus. Share your group responses with the class.
Complete questions on ISN p.29
Do all objects vibrate when they are making sounds?
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your ISN and add to the Table of Contents- “Objects Investigation p.25” (Right Side); Head page 25 properly with “Objects Investigation- 11/13/17.”
- Mindful Monday– 7 Days of Calm: Day 7- Awareness– Listen to the audio guide our way through the mindfulness practice. After the practice, we discuss- What did you notice?
- Looking Back (What did we just do?)/Looking Forward (What are our next steps?)– What did we figure out last time about sound? As a full class, answer the question: What new question is our class investigating? Write the question that we are investigating next at the top of ISN p.25. Then, record your prediction on ISN p.25. Share responses to the class.
- Objects Investigation– Set up at Data Table on ISN p.25. Use the Sound Vibration Detection Device to determine what happens when you strike the drum softly and then harder. Record your observations in the Data Table on ISN p.25. Repeat with the table.
Please give feedback on How’s It Going? survey 🙂
What does the record look like up close?
- Do Now– Copy down today’s homework assignment in your planner. Get out your ISN and add to the Table of Contents- “Record Investigation p.20” (Left Side); Head page 20 properly with “Record Investigation- 10/23/17.”
- Mindful Monday– 7 Days of Calm: Day 5 The Value of Non-Doing– Listen to the audio guide our way through the mindfulness practice. After the practice, we discuss- What did you notice?
- Investigation of Record– Watch video of the path of a needle on a record under the microscope. Record your observations in your Data Table on ISN p.21. Share your observations with the class. Turn and talk: How might what you observed about the surface of the record be related to the sounds it makes when spun?
- Write-Pair-Share- How might what you observed about the surface of the record and interaction of the needle to be related to the sounds it makes when spun? Write your conclusion on ISN p.20
- Complete conclusion on ISN p.21 due Wed. 10/25
- ISN’s are due next week! 🙂